Thursday, September 08, 2005

There is no normal.

Just watched the 1995 movie, Angus...actually, I only caught the last half of it on cable. I loved Angus' monologue at the end. Posted it below. Hope it inspires you to be YOU...there is no substitute!

Angus: I'm still here, ASSHOLE! I'll ALWAYS be here!
[Begins to violently push Rick across the dance floor]
Angus: You push me down and I'll get back up again, and Again, and AGAIN, And AGAIN, AND AGAIN!
[Rick falls, hitting his head on the steps to the stage]
Angus: I could beat you RIGHT here, RIGHT now! But I DON'T WANT to be better than you, Rick! I DON'T WANT to be better than ANYBODY! I just want to be who I AM: a FAT kid, who's good at science, and fair at football. That's who I AM! I can LIVE with that. Why can't you?
Rick: Because it's not normal. YOU'RE not normal.
Angus: And who is? You?
Rick: You bet your ass.
Angus: So to be normal, we all have to be like YOU? There are 400 people in this room who are NOTHING like you, Rick! Some of them are fat, some of them are skinny. Some of them are short, some of them are tall. Some of them have braces, some of them have birth marks, or scars, or frizzy hair, or EARS THAT STICK OUT!
[Troy's head pops up out of crowd]
Angus: But most of them walk through these halls EVERY DAY, never telling anybody what they really think, or feel, or believe, because people like you, NORMAL people like YOU, have them TERRIFIED of being who they REALLY are. If YOU'RE normal, what does that make all of them? So which is it, Rick? Are you normal? Or are you just one of us?
Rick: Whatever I am, it's something you're never gonna be.
Angus: Thank God.

No comments: