Monday, November 12, 2007

Reflections of a Starbucks Barista

Today is my last shift working for Starbucks. It's 16.5 months since I started working for store 4666 on Innes and Lanthier in Orleans. I don't know if I will get used to paying full price for coffee now. As I look back on my life as a barista, here are some lessons I've learned.

1. Values must always be translated into a few measureable behaviors to mean anything.

2. Values and behavior must be reinforced often.

3. A strong system can make even the weakest partner look good.

4. It is important to manage someone according to both their motivation and skill level.

5. Management is no substitute for leadership.

6. Though the book is not exactly the same as the actual experience, aiming for an ideal and falling short is better than not aiming at all.

7. Choose your attitude. Be there. Play. Make their day.

8. The secret to the Starbucks Experience is the partners.

9. Just say, "Yes!"

10. Not everyone will be your friend but treat them with respect and dignity anyways.

1 comment:

John Manalo said...

Can I place this article in the UFCTC's Newsletter for December 2007 issue? With your permission I will also use your picture in this blog. Thanks